Sunday, July 1, 2007

Snake proof enclosure

The new sideyard is almost done. We have been working on it for almost 2 weeks, although this week it's been mostly Paul working on it, while I work in the garden – but because they're right beside each other, I can drop what I'm doing and go help out, and we can visit each other for the occasional kiss!

The door was a great find. It was sitting in the front yard of a house just down the street, along with a whole bunch of other discarded-looking things. So we stopped one day and asked the man (Fred) if he would sell it to us. No, he said, I built it, and I want to hang on to it. And then, for no apparent reason, he said, Oh sure, go on and take it – I don't need it. So we gave him ten bucks and the door was ours. It was actually 4 and half feet across – a massive thing – so we sliced a section out and then put it back together with braces – in what turned out to be a lyrical sunburst arrangement.

The fencing is quarter inch "hardware cloth" – wire really – totally and completely snake-proof – I'd like to see any snake get through that! And that's why we're putting so much time into it right now, because snakes could still get in to the old side yard, and Little is still easy game for snakes, as is our Hawkeye, the handicapped bird.



No comments: